Friday, March 30, 2007

How good are London's MPs at blogging about parliament?

After having spent some time roaming around the blogs and websites of our parliamentary representatives, I feel like I have been submerged into the world of MP's blogs to dedicate my first post to their quality and relevance. How good are London MPs at blogging about parliament?

After several weeks of searching, I have been able to find personal blogs or websites for 52 London MPs, this means that 22 MPs (29.7%) either do not have one or go to some effort to hide it from the world. Compared the rest of the country this is not too bad; 196 MPs (30.3%) do not have a personal website appearing in Parliament's member listing .

After taking a deeper look I found I realised that the majority of our MPs sites are (almost) useless when it comes to up-to-date information on your local MP's involvement in Parliament or opinion on current affairs. In my list of comments I had to note 15 sites as 'out of date' (no posts in more than two weeks), 11 as 'local coverage only' and seven as 'under construction' or 'dead'. Beside that I found that five of the 21 sites (two sites got both 'out of date' and 'local coverage only' notes) left divert users to an external source for news. This leaves 16 sites providing up to date, personalised news about their hosts' activities in Parliament.

This leaves us with the conclusion that, without taking the contents of their coverage, 16 out of 74 London MPs provide up to date personalised news on their activities in parliament.

(I will continue to check up our MPs parliamentary coverage and keep you posted on a regular basis.)

No comments: